Yep, it is time again for us here at Westside to turn the attention to someone outside our immediate flock and add another installment of our 5+ series. In this series we ask industry people from all roles to let us in on 5 things keep them inspired and able to relentlessly kick ass. We wanted to turn the focus towards someone who many of us here at Westside have had the pleasure of working with over the years, the tremendously talented model maker, and all round solid dude, Franc Madden.
Image © Shanghoon
For those who know Franc, none of this will come as a surprise. For those that don’t, here is the deal…
Franc Madden is a problem solver, magician and artist all rolled into one. He is a tireless craftsman. He remains calm when under pressure and is a true pleasure to work with. He always goes the extra mile.
As seen here, while the world around moves quickly around him, Franc still has a sense of humor and an infectious smile. He has been an invaluable part of the photography landscape of many, many, many years. Here are what a few Westsiders had to say about working with Franc…
“Franc is a Solid and Reliable man, he can basically make anything you request, what more could you ask for?”- John Stevancec, Producer
“Photography and in particular advertising, is about problem solving. Model making still plays a vital role and Franc’s experience and skill is invaluable. Being able to capture the majority of your image in camera is still the best and most simplistic route to success. Without Franc, I couldn’t do most of my jobs.”- Frank Hoedl, Photographer
“As much as I love working with new technologies like photo manipulation & cgi, sometimes nothing can beat the true craftsmanship of model making. Franc is my go-to model maker, and I have complete trust in his ability to make ideas come to life. I’ve certainly challenged him to create quirky things for me over the years, including a deflated rubber turkey to a car-shaped popsicle. His extensive knowledge and determination in figuring things out, as well as his easy-going nature, makes him a great working partner and a true inspiration.”- Shanghoon, Photographer
“Franc is a magician. I have never seen anyone else create a magical landscape with broccoli toothpicks and lint.”- George Simhoni, Photographer
Without further adieu, here are Franc Madden’s 5 inspirations. We hope that they may inspire you as they have inspired him.
1. Last year some guy “died” for a few minutes on the operating table. His recall was the familiar out of body thing; he floated euphorically above his life, viewing everything through a misty tunnel. My first thought was that he was riding a dirt bike, as that is how it feels when you launch one. I love motocross at all levels, from the top guys down to the kid bouncing around his yard on a jalopy. The sound, smell and rush of it never gets old. Racer X Illustrated is the best portal for the sport; not only do they cover the results in real time, they also explore the depths of it, answering the questions we have and reinforcing the family values at it’s core.
2. All the painters from early Juxtapoz. Robert Williams, Mark Ryden, Ron English, Jim Woodring and especially Todd Schorr. Master draftsmen. I stare at their work and envy the satisfaction they must feel from their finished pieces.
3. The Tetra Society. They take the abilities of inventors and engineers and apply them to specific needs of people with disabilities, an applied science making the most basic functions of life a little easier. Noble, heartwarming stuff that is genuine.
4. Daim the graffiti artist. His work hovers high over all the others with a depth that evades them.
5. Artists with ideas. True story; those who know me will think this inclusion is bollocks. I never speak highly of the arts as a vocation. I’m jaded as a result of too many people wanting but not doing. I like challenging projects from people who have done their homework, are using their noggin yet need a problem solved. Collaboration. It’s the name of the game in all walks. My Compadres, I have no competitors, they are allies. I know many talented people and we feed off one another, exchanging ideas. Even if I ‘lose’ a job to one of them, I enjoy seeing their resulting build. It will be so different than my approach, and good. We all make custom creations on tight deadlines and all work in our own distinct way.