Instagram is an extremely entertaining platform that has taken so many experiences, places, meals and cats from the corners of people’s lives and shared them front and centre on your smartphone. Some have become Instagram celebrities while others prefer to keep their accounts private and share with family and friends only. Over the past few years, someone has been creating a very impressive and extremely undervalued Instagram account right under our noses. From the depths of the creative department at DentsuBos, Steven Kim has been silently uploading images demonstrating incredible attention to composition, symmetry, matching the aesthetic to the content and to put it bluntly- his photos kick ass.
This brings us to the next instalment of our 5+ series, where we turn the spotlight on someone outside our walls and have them tell us 5 things that help keep them inspired to create. So without further adieu, we will pair a few images from Steven’s Instagram account and let him tell you all about what keeps his eye sharp and what inspires him to create such awesome images.
1. Mind-blowing creative talent from around the world I’ve found through Instagram. I love seeing glimpses of virtually every corner of the universe, one tiny square at a time. There is so much creative use of the platform and such unique styles of image-making out there. It’s pretty humbling. Everyday it makes me think about deleting my photos and starting all over again.
2. My wife and son. Both are very active and keep me motivated to stay healthy. Which can be incredibly challenging at times. See point 4.
3. Almost everything about the ’80s. The music, the movies, the sitcoms, the WWF wrestlers, the colours, the arcades. This period is so vivid in my mind and filled with so much energy. Much more than the next two decades.
4. Food. I’ve watched every episode of Man vs Food. At least twice. Luckily my wife is an amazing cook so I eat really well at home. She’s also inspired me to make a few of my own dishes. Then there are these amazing celebrity Chefs: Roy Choi, David Chang, Chuck Hughes. These guys always make cooking look cool and sometimes even easy.
5. Great magazine covers and beautifully designed spreads with beautiful typography. Magazines like New Times Magazine, Wired, GQ tend to deliver quality pretty consistently.
We asked some of our Westside photographers to have a flip through Steven’s Instagram account and pick out some of their favourites. Their selections suited their own photography styles. Check out this Westside photographer curated selection.
“Creating pretty pictures is easy. In a visual world that already has far more sunset images than it needs, it’s refreshing to look through Steven’s images and see someone who’s willing to get out when the weather’s crap, when making images is an annoying and uncomfortable pursuit. The result is fresh and engaging imagery – and creating that is the most difficult of all. …also I’m a sucker for pictures from Iceland!”
- Dave Delnea
“I really like how he manages to imbue even the most everyday objects with an air of otherworldliness and even menace, while still somehow remaining playful and even funny. Good stuff.”
“I get a lot of my inspiration through design pages and people I follow on Instagram simply because it’s completely visual. Steven is one of my 5 or 6 “go to” pages on Instagram, he has a killer design sense and a super cool vintage modern style to his work that kinda makes it timeless.”
“I like his images for his compositional skills. In general he has a wonderful perspective on everyday things and can put it into an interesting and captivating imagery.”
That is all for this 5+ post. Please take the time to flip through and enjoy this selection of Steven’s photos that has been curated by Westside photographers and staff. If you want to follow Steven, please click or tap here and help his following grow by sharing this post around on your socials. The dude deserves it!
Photos of Steven by George Simhoni